Welcome!

I enjoy various hobbies and sharing them with everyone!

Friday, February 18, 2011

"I read about it...in a book..."

Fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, biography, true crime, and much more. There are many genres to choose from when deciding what to read. I love to read and ever since I got my Nookcolor I have more books to read than I have time for! So I've decided that ever book I read (good or bad) I would like to talk about on my blog with all of you! Please feel free to give your feedback! I want to know what you think and I love to hear from you! So here goes!

My first book is called Columbine and was written by Dave Cullen. I usually enjoy reading non-fiction or true crime books so this was right up my alley! I guess I find it more interesting knowing that things are real? I also find it kind of interesting seeing how these people act, think, feel. I guess because at one point I wanted to go into psychology. Anyway, I saw the cover of this book whlie looking online and was pretty much pulled in. It's a picture of the school (small on the bottom) and the sky...I guess all the blue and white of the sky makes it stand out. I saw the name and thought, " I already know the story of what happened what more can there be?" This book really surprised me on how good it was!

The book is about the tragedy that took place at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold walked in Columbine and started shooting everyone in their path. Teachers, students, other faculty. They didn't care who was killed or injured. They wanted this massacre to be bigger than the Oklahoma City bombings. But why did they even want to do this in the first place? What did their parents think? What were they like in the years before the shooting? This book gives every detail I feel...


Parts of this book may be a little disturbing. It was for me especially when they were giving a detailed account of what happened that day, but still interesting. It also talks about how they lived, where they worked, how they acted, etc. They seemed pretty normal looking in from the outside, but they were anything but normal. Eric seemed to be the ringleader of this disaster, but Dylan was depressed and ended up going along with whatever Eric said. Their parents saw no signs and always seems to treat both children in a loving manner.


As this book progresses, it talks about the aftermath and what has become of it till today. It gives many details of family and loved ones that were injured or killed that day. It talks about what they went through and how they felt. Some were angry, others were crushed, a lot ended up having to have therapy for PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I will say though that this book is not ALL sad...There are some uplitfing moments! Even though Patrick Ireland was shot, and paralyzed on one side, he managed to drag his body to a window and fall out. He was taken to the hospital and immediately to surgery. They thought he would never be able to walk, or talk correctly (make sentences, anything), but he did. He can walk, talk, make sentences, pretty much anything! It was amazing!


I would recommend this book to anyone. It was a great read and kept my attention the whole time. I hope you all enjoyed my blog on this book. Like I said  before please give your feedback so I can hopefully make it better the next time :) Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment