Welcome!

I enjoy various hobbies and sharing them with everyone!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Traveling to My Own Beat

    If there is one hobby that I could say is my true passion, it's traveling. The culture and history of the world intrigues me and captivates my mind. I have traveled many states and cities and there are always new discoveries that amaze me in their own unique way. Seeing things on television on Discovery or Travel Channel don't even do them justice. Once you see those places or artifacts in real life, it's life changing. I have been lucky enough to have an uncle who has taken me many places in the world. My travels started when I was still in high school when I went to St. Thomas. It was beautiful with crystal clear waters. It was much different anything I had ever seen.
In the harbor in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands


    The next stop on my voyage was Hawaii. You would think that it was much like St. Thomas, but it wasn't anything like it. The weather is always a cool 75 degrees and the culture that thrives here is unlike any other. We stayed in Waikiki where there are many things to do! We went to Pearl Harbor, the Dole Plantation, and all kinds of things. A friend and I took a day trip tour to the where we traveled around the whole island going to many places like Volcanoes National Park, Kona Coffee Farms and Plantations, and even the botanical garden. Before we took the plane back to the island we were staying at we visited the black sand beaches where sea turtles would just swim up and stay a while. 
Black sand beaches at the Big Island


    After Hawaii comes Salt Lake City, Utah. This is where it started at least. We landed in Salt Lake City only to stay a little while. We traveled to Moab, Utah, a quiet little town. It was a big change of environment, weather, and culture. Out west the heat is a dry heat, not very humid like the south. I just love it out west! Moving along. We got there, rented a car, and were on our way to many places like: Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Mesa Verde, Zion National Park, and then through Lake Powell. This trip was so much fun and I learned a lot. 
Cayonlands National Park


    Last but definitely not least is New York CITYYY! I can remember it as if was yesterday. To Time Square we traveled by plane from Birmingham. We stayed right in Time Square in front of the jumbo trons. It was so pretty with all of the lights and people everywhere. First we went down 5th Avenue (You know I had to at least walk down 5th to feel VIP) haha! Then it was time to hit every museum in New York! Where all did we go you ask?! Well let me just tell you, we spent COUNTLESS hours in the Museum of Natural History, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, Museum of Modern Art, and Metropolitan Museum of Art. I remember spending 8 hours one day in I believe was The Met, and having to go back the next day just to see everything! These museums are CRAZY big!
 This so far has been it for my great adventures around the world. Mark and I are planning on doing a lot of traveling soon and I can't wait! I would love to visit the top museums and national parks around the world. Maybe someday I will. As for now, I hope you enjoyed my latest blog! Until next time...

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” ~ Miriam Beard 

No comments:

Post a Comment